Thursday 23 June 2011

Sepia Saturday 80: Service on the Home Front

For this week's Sepia Saturday post, I'm going to do something a little different, although still keeping broadly within Alan's theme. This will be an opportunity for readers to do a little detective work. Regular Photo-Sleuth readers will have a slight advantage, but it's not exclusive. Anyone is very welcome give it a go, and there is a small prize for the winner!



Click images to enlarge

These two images are scans of photographs from my aunt's family collection - not acquired images.

1. Who is the person depicted in the passport-style photo and standing at third from left in the group photo (full name, please), and what is his relationship to me?

2. When were these photographs taken? An approximate year or date range is sufficient.

3. What group(s) or organisation(s) did the other people in the second photograph belong to, and at what kind of place was the photo taken?

I don't think I need to give you any more clues than I have already, but if nobody's getting close by the end of the weekend, I may provide a nudge in the right direction.

The first reader to post all three correct answers as comments at the end of this blog post will win a free professional photohistorical evaluation of a Victorian or Edwardian portrait of their choice from their own family collection - see this sample report for an example. If nobody has answered all three correctly by the time the following Sepia Saturday goes to air (No 81 on 2 July), then I will judge the closest - or cleverest - answer to be the winner. Obviously, the more details you can provide in your answers, the better.

Good luck.

19 comments:

  1. Interesting idea, but I am not a good sleuth, especially for things from other countries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not rocket science, just common sense, really, and we all learn in the process. Have a go anyway, Postcardy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is your grand father, Brett Payne Sr. taken around 1943, the gathering in the second picture is to discuss the fact that the Church would be an ally in hiding certain artifacts so they wouldn't end up in the wrong hands.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea, but I'm thinking the dog plays a big part in this mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brett banned me from entering this competition, but if it is where I think may be, the dog's name is likely to be either Luigi or Taffy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good one, Nigel. You may well be right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your interpretation of the body language in the second photo, Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too much detective work of my own at the moment Brett but I will be interested to see the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah very interesting Watson! ...cute doggie too and I'm kinda new to this SS posts but I am going to take a guess at the 3rd person being Sergeant Charles Leslie Lionel Payne your grandfather who was in the Canadian Expeditionary Force, although the first photo, the uniform cap doesn't seem Canadian to me, although I'm no expert, so perhaps that is your father? All this quite fun, can't wait to see the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've lost my Sherlock Holmes Sleuthing hat and spy glass, so no answers from me.!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unfortunately I don't have time at the moment to try any detective work. Normally it's my favourite occupation. Two observations though - that looks remarkably like the one-time Archbishop of Canterbury, Robert Runcie, in the second photo. And it was winter.

    Your relative looks considerably older in the second photo. Assuming the first is during WWII, and knowing Runcie wasn't made Archbishop of Canterbury until 1979, could that account for it?

    I may return to try to find out more, if I have time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. ahhh I plead no time too, but I seem to recall a relative who was a bishop, a priest, ??? Maybe I'm confusing it with another blog. Great photos no matter! I have a hard enough time remembering my own stuff, but this is a fun challenge...who will win? I should think if you have relatives who follow your blog they would be winners...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very interesting post for SS. Yes the photos are great but the idea for a little sleuthing is very creative. I have no idea, of course, but have enjoyed the guesses and comments.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What! ask your loyal (but lazy) readers to work? I was going to say, "What do we pay you for?" and then I remembered that we don't pay you anything at all.
    I checked in earlier and made a note to come back later in the week when I had more time, but alas I don't. I will come back for the answer though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks to all the posters for your thoughtful contributions. I will be compiling a full article explaining the story behind these two photographs for Photo-Sleuth in due course. For the moment, here are the answers to the quiz.

    1. The subject is my grandfather Charles Leslie Lionel Payne (1892-1975), who has appeared in several previous Photo-Sleuth posts.

    2. From the uniform, they were certainly taken during the Second World War, 1939-1945. The cap badge is that of the Pioneer Corps. My grandfather was therefore in his late 40s or early 50s, and perhaps unlikely to be on active service abroad.

    3. My grandfather is the only one dressed in standard British Army uniform. The style of the caps and tailoring of the belted leather jackets suggests Italian to me. Check the image of Italian soldiers on a motor-cycle about half-way down this page. The gentleman in the dark clerical robes is therefore most likely a Catholic priest. The combination of Pioneer Corps, WW2 and Italian soldiers, perhaps in England, suggests the location may be a Prisoner of War Camp.

    I think Rosie ticked more boxes than anyone else, so please get in touch to claim your prize.

    More about my grandfather and his service as the OC of several Italian and German POW camps during WW2 in a future Photo-Sleuth post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just emailed you Brett as I am having trouble with Blogger leaving comments, it is either hit or miss...thanks, Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Rosie. No email here yet - try gluepot@gmail.com if you haven't alreayd. Regards, Brett

    ReplyDelete

Join my blog network
on Facebook